"Low Cost Pet Vaccination Clinics Available, Text "DOGCAT" To 95577 For A Schedule"
972.772.7777

Cat Vaccinations

“The Secret To A Healthy Cat Is Knowing What Vaccinations Are Available”

It doesn’t matter if you keep your cat indoors, or let them roam the neighborhood. As a responsible owner, you want to do everything you can to protect your cat from diseases it can contract. Here is what you should know:

Rabies

Rabies is a viral infection, most commonly transmitted through the bite from an infected animal. It is a highly contagious disease that attacks all mammals, including cats, dogs and humans, with nearly 100% of the cases having a fatal outcome once symptoms appear.

The virus is unpredictable, as it can take anywhere from a week to a year to become active. Unfortunately, there is no accurate test that can diagnose the disease until it’s too late.

That is why your best bet is to consult a veterinarian and regularly vaccinate your cat to protect it from rabies.

Feline Distemper (Panleukopenia)

Feline distemper is another highly contagious and life-threatening virus that affects the cat population. The virus causes respiratory problems at first and then it progresses to a gastrointestinal infection.

If you disregard the initial symptoms, things can worsen in no time. That is why it is crucial to provide your infected cat provide with adequate care quickly.

Once a cat has survived the virus, it cannot contract it again, nor can it pass it to another cat after the initial infection. However, it is always best to get your cat vaccinated to protect it from this potentially lethal disease.

Feline Leukemia

Feline leukemia is transmitted through infected saliva, blood, urine and feces and causes anemia, various types of cancer and weakens the cat’s immune system. As a result, it makes cats vulnerable to secondary infections.

It is estimated that around 70% of cats are able to fight the feline leukemia virus on their own. Moreover, most of the infected cats will look healthy at first. However, the remaining 30% ends up with a chronic infection that leads to complications and death.

To protect your cat, keep it away from any infected animals and visit your veterinarian regularly. In addition, it is highly advisable to vaccinate your cat if you think it may be at risk of contracting the feline leukemia.

Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)

Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) is a viral disease that is spread through contact with infected feces. It causes many complications, such as fluid build-up in your cat’s lungs and abdomen, or granulomas all over its internal organs.

The disease is hard to diagnose, as there are no reliable laboratory tests. However, if you combine the tests with symptoms such as weight loss, lethargy, swollen abdomen, or vomiting and diarrhea, they can point to FIP.

Measures of precaution should involve prevention of overcrowding and good hygiene. A vaccine is also available, and should be given to help prevent this deadly virus sine you won’t be able to successfully treat your cat once signs and symptoms appear.

If you have any concerns regarding your feline’s health, feel free to contact us by phone at 972-772-7777 or schedule an appointment online any time day or night.

For additional specials and offers: Text DOGCAT to 95577